WHATCOM COUNTY, Wash. — Ski to Sea organizers say they have about 500 teams of 3 to 8 athletes each signed up for the Sunday, May 28th, event that begins at the Mount Baker Ski Resort and ends in Fairhaven.
The multidiscipline athletic event will include the following legs.
- Crosscountry ski
- Downhill ski / snowboard
- Road Bike
- Cyclocross bike
- Sea kayak
The legs will take athletes down the following roads.
- Mount Baker Highway
- Silver Lake Road
- S Pass Road
- Sunset Avenue
- Rural Avenue
- Kope Road
- Marine Drive
- Roeder Avenue
- N Harbor Loop Drive
As a result of the athletes on the roads, Washington State Department of Transportation have announced the following traffic impacts.
- 30 miles of Mount Baker Highway from Silver Lake Road to the Mount Baker Ski Area
will be closed from 7:15am to 11am.
- Athletes on S Pass Road will be crossing Kendall Road from 7:30am to 11am and law enforcement personnel will be at the intersection to assist with traffic control.
- Athletes will be passing through downtown Everson throughout the day. Officers will be on hand to assist with traffic control.
Fairhaven can be expected to be packed with athletes and supporters gathering around the finish line. As a result, Whatcom Transportation Authority will run the following extra buses to/from Fairhaven. Bus fare is free for those 18 and under and $1 for all others.
- From the Western Washington University campus from 11:15am to 7pm every 15 minutes. Parking for shuttle riders will be provided for free at WWU C Lot. Look for signage indicating the bus pickup location.
- From the downtown Bellingham bus station from 11:55am to 6:55pm every 15 minutes.