Press "Enter" to skip to content

New details released on morning assault, car chase, crash and arrest in Lynden

LYNDEN, Wash. — Affidavits of probable cause provided by Lynden and Everson Police and filed in Whatcom County Superior Court by the County Prosecutor’s Office detail a series of events on Thursday morning, May 13th, which resulted in the arrest of Angel Omar Santos, age 35, who was awaiting trial on similar charges in Whatcom and Snohomish County courts at the time.

Lynden Police were dispatched to a report that a man had just assaulted a female while taking her car. According to an affidavit by Lynden Police, the female victim reported she told Santos he could not drive her car and attempted to stop him from doing so. In the process, he dragged her and closed the car door on her head causing “a large gash.” He then shoved her out of the vehicle onto pavement and left with the car.

A description of the car was dispatched to local law enforcement. An Everson Police officer spotted a vehicle matching the description and attempted to pull it over in the 200 block of Everson Road. Instead of yielding to the officer’s lights and siren, the vehicle fled at a high rate of speed according to the affidavit by Everson Police. The officer reported the vehicle was being driven in a reckless manner reaching speeds of up to 110mph and discontinued the pursuit.

A Lynden Police officer then spotted the vehicle near the roundabout at Bender Road and Badger Road with a Washington State Patrol vehicle following it. The suspect vehicle crashed into another vehicle at the roundabout at Depot Road and Badger Road and the officer saw Santos get out of the vehicle and flee on foot.


Click for more information

Click for more information

Lynden Fire Department Fire Chief Mark Billmire told Whatcom News they were dispatched at 7:27am due to a report of a 2-vehicle crash. Upon arriving they located 3 patients who were all evaluated and released at the scene.

Following the crash, Santos was seen running to a nearby residence and kicking in a door to the garage. The Lynden Police officer reported seeing Santo’s holding what appeared to be a knife as he entered the garage.

Law enforcement from Lynden, Everson and the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office surrounded the residence. A resident came out and reported they could hear someone in the garage.

The officer instructed Santos to walk out of the garage and lay on the ground, which he did. He was handcuffed and during a search was found to have a “butterfly knife” in a pocket. He was placed in the rear seat of a Lynden Police vehicle.

Click for more information

Click for more information

Soon after, the officer was alerted by a passing vehicle’s horn and saw Santos running eastbound on Badger Road. He had rolled down the police car’s window and was attempting to escape. He was detained again, placed in an Everson Police car and transported to the Lynden Police Department where he was treated and released by Lynden Fire aid personnel for shoulder pain from the crash.

Santos was transported to and booked into Whatcom County Jail and now faces the following charges in Whatcom County Superior Court resulting from the incidents that morning.

  • 1st degree robbery
  • Theft of a motor vehicle
  • Attempting to elude a police vehicle
  • 1st degree criminal trespass
  • 3rd degree escape
  • Hit and run of an attended vehicle

According to court documents regarding another Whatcom County case, Santos had been released from custody 2 days prior, on Tuesday, May 11th, after providing a $10,000 bail bond and promising to appear in court to face charges resulting from an incident that occurred on November 6, 2020.

On that day in November, according to an affidavit of probable cause provided by Lynden Police and filed in Whatcom County Superior Court by the County Prosecutor’s Office, Lynden Police were alerted to a report of a recklessly driven vehicle. An officer located the black Audi A4 going 60mph in a 40mph zone and observed it cutting off vehicles. The officer reported being able to make direct eye contact with the driver while activating the police vehicle’s emergency lights. The Audi accelerated away and was seen passing vehicles using the shoulder and inside no passing zones. The officer determined the pursuit to be unsafe to continue and ended it.

The unoccupied Audi was located later and impounded by Lynden Police. A search warrant was granted and photo IDs and other items belonging to Santos were found in the vehicle. A loaded handgun determined to have been stolen was found in the glovebox and a substance that tested positive for the presence of methamphetamine was found in a baggie.

Further investigation determined Santos to be a convicted felon out of Florida and therefore unable to lawfully able to possess a weapon. A warrant for his arrest was issued on March 16th. He was arrested April 7th and charged with attempting to elude a police vehicle, possession of a stolen firearm and unlawful possession of a firearm. He was released the same day after posting $500 cash, promising to appear at an arraignment hearing.

On April 26th, another arrest warrant was issued for Santos’ arrest after he failed to appear at his arraignment hearing.

Santos was arrested on May 8th by Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office deputies and charged in Everett District Court with suspicion of eluding, driving under the influence and resisting arrest. He was transferred from Snohomish County Corrections Jail to Whatcom County Jail on May 11th. He was released from custody later that day after posting a $10,000 appearance bond. 2 days later he was arrested following the assault and subsequent pursuit between Everson and Lynden.

As of May 20th, Santos remained in custody in Whatcom County Jail pending a $60,000 bail bond or $6,000 cash.

My custom footer text