WHATCOM COUNTY, Wash. — As of 6am, November 28th, first responders had reported road impacts due to surface water flooding from recent heavy local rain and river flooding due to heavy mountain rain.
Heavy mountain rain and snow melt have pushed the Nooksack River levels up into official “Action Flood Stage” range at most river gauge locations. The river level is expected to reach “Moderate Flood Stage” range today at Saxon Bridge, Cedarville and Ferndale gauge locations.
Heavy lowland rains throughout the county overnight have saturated the soil and resulted in surface water and creek and stream flooding.
Persistent rainfall will continue across Western Washington through today, yielding river and areal flooding, as well as the threat for landslides. Following additional rainfall during the day Monday, another [atmospheric river] will reach Western Washington by midweek bringing additional excessive rainfall to the region. Drier and cooler conditions possible Friday into next weekend.National Weather Service statement 3am, November 28, 2021
6am 9:30am, water and debris over roadways have resulted in the closure of the following primary roads as well as many other locations too numerous to include according to city, county and state agency reports.
- Bellingham – Marine Drive between Rural Avenue and Lummi Shore Drive
- Bellingham – Iowa Street at the I-5 northbound off-ramp
- Bellingham – Guide Meridian (SR539) right lane at Kelly Road
- Ferndale – Slater Road between LaBounty Drive and Ferndale Road
- Ferndale – Ferndale Road between Slater Road and Marine Drive
- Ferndale – Imhof Road between Ulrich Road and Douglas Road
- Ferndale – Grandview Road right lane west of Vista Drive
- Ferndale – Portal Way between Grandview Road and Brown Road
- Ferndale – W Smith Road between LaBounty Drive and Hovander Road
- Blaine – Birch Bay-Lynden Road between Kickerville Road and Portal Way
- Lynden – E Pole Road (SR544) west of Noon Road
- Lynden – E Badger Road (SR546) multiple locations east of Northwood Road
- Lynden – Hampton Road between E Front Street and Trapline Road
- Bellingham – Goshen Road west of Roberts Road
- Bellingham – E Hemmi Road east of Hannegan Road
- Nooksack – Nooksack Road (SR9) at Alm Road
- Deming – Lawrence Road (SR9) north of Mt Baker Highway (SR542) to S Pass Road (SR544)
- Deming – Mount Baker Highway (SR542) at Boulder Creek Road
- Sumas – Reese Hill Road (SR547) south of Bishop Road to Telegraph Road
- Sumas – Cherry Street (SR9) from Vancouver Street to the US-Canada Border
- Sumas – Goodwin Road between S Pass Road and Massey Road
- Everson – Massey Road between Emerson and Nooksack Road (SR9)