Press "Enter" to skip to content

WCFD7 responded to two Ferndale businesses this morning

Whatcom County Fire District 7 personnel respond to a report of smoke inside Rite Aid (December 7, 2016). Photo: Discover Ferndale

The smell of smoke when employees arrived at two businesses this morning was enough to warrant a response from Whatcom County Fire District 7 units.

Early this morning, employees at Ferndale YMCA on Barrett Road called 911 after smelling smoke inside the building. WCFD7 units were dispatched and, according to Assistant Fire Chief Larry Hoffman, We felt there was a problem with the furnace on the roof of the YMCA and isolated the power to that unit.”

Then later, shortly after 8am, employees at Rite Aid at 3rd Avenue and Main Street reported smoke inside the building in the area of the coolers. According to Hoffman, they were unable to determine a cause but speculated, “perhaps a faulty smoke detector or possibly the result of a gust of the NE wind caused the furnace to back up into the building.”

Both businesses remained open and were continuing business as usual.

Advertisement
Click for more information

Advertisement
Click for more information

My custom footer text