BELLINGHAM, Wash. — First responders were dispatched to the southbound lanes of I-5 at the Meridian Street interchange due to a report of a multi-vehicle crash with possible injuries about 8:45am, Wednesday, May 4th. The incident was initially fully blocking all lanes and by 8:50am the passing lane had been reopened.
Initial reports from the scene via radio were some of the persons involved had left the scene on foot.
The incident appeared to have occurred between the mainline right lane and the merging lane.
By 8:55am, a traffic backup in the southbound lanes extended 1-mile, reaching beyond the Northwest Drive interchange.
WSP Trooper Jacob Kennett told Whatcom News it was a non-injury hit and run incident involving 4 vehicles.
According to Kennett, a Ford Ranger was southbound on I-5 when the driver lost control and struck 2 cars and a dump truck. The driver and passenger in the Ford fled on foot. WSP were able to contact the passenger and the driver remains at large. Kennett said they are looking for a white male, approximately 6-foot tall, last seen wearing blue jeans and a high-visibility orange sweatshirt.
Anyone with info regarding the driver of the Ford Ranger is asked to call the What-Comm 911 non-emergency line at 360-676-6911.