Press "Enter" to skip to content
Whatcom County Fire District 17 fire engine (2018). Photo courtesy of WCFD17.

Fan causes residential fire

Two engines, a rescue unit and aid unit from Whatcom County Fire District 17 (WCFD17) and an engine from Whatcom County Fire District 7 were dispatched to structure fire about 3am in the 4300 block of Decatur Drive in Sandy Point Heights.

Upon arrival crews found a bathroom fan had overheated and caught fire burning the ceiling before falling and burning portions of the floor.

An occupant woke to the sound of the fan hitting the floor and doused it with water before exiting the home.

The only smoke detector had been incorrectly installed and did not alert the occupants.

Advertisement

Click for more information
Advertisement

Click for more information

The damage estimate was about $1000.

WCFD17 Fire Chief Jim Petrie said, “This was a very lucky family that narrowly avoided a tragedy. This is a good reminder to everyone to be sure you have working smoke detectors in your home”

My custom footer text