Each year seems to bring tighter restrictions on the sale and setting off (discharging) of fireworks. While not applicable to professionally managed pyrotechnical performances, citizens should be aware of the current Whatcom County and incorporated city laws. Here are the city and county laws as they apply to buying and setting off consumer fireworks.
Within the Bellingham city limits
The City of Bellingham has deemed all fireworks illegal to use or discharge at any time.
Within the Blaine city limits
The following shows when it is legal to sell/buy fireworks and discharge them in Blaine.
Date Sales Discharge July 1st 9am-9pm – July 2nd 9am-9pm – July 3rd 9am-9pm – July 4th 9am-9pm 10am-11:59pm July 5th – –
It is illegal to set off fireworks in the following areas of Blaine at any time.
- The entire West Blaine area located west of Shintaffer Road, including, without limitation, all adjacent water bodies and beach marine areas, the entire Semiahmoo Spit, all of the area of Semiahmoo, including the county park and the city sewer facility to and including the Semiahmoo Marina.
- The Blaine Harbor area and adjacent water bodies located north of Boblett and west of and including the railroad right-of-way, including, without limitation, all property owned by the Port of Bellingham.
- All public parks and public property within the city limits of Blaine, excluding public streets outside of the West Blaine and Blaine Harbor areas.
Refer to the City of Blaine municipal code for more details and specifics.
Within the Lynden city limits
The following shows when it is legal to sell/buy fireworks and discharge them in Lynden.
Date Sales Discharge June 28th 12pm-11pm – June 29th to July 2nd 9am-9pm – July 1st to July 3rd 9am-9pm 9am-11pm July 4th 9am-9pm 9am-11:59pm July 5th 9am-9pm 9am-9pm
Within the Sumas city limits
The following shows when it is legal to sell/buy fireworks and discharge them in Sumas.
Date Sales Discharge June 28th 12pm-11pm 12pm-11pm June 29th to July 3rd 9am-11pm 9am-11pm July 4th 9am-11pm 9am-11:59pm July 5th 9am-11pm 9am-11pm
Within the Everson and Nooksack city limits
The following shows when it is legal to sell/buy fireworks and discharge them in Everson.
|June 29th to July 2nd||9am-11pm||–|
Within the Ferndale city limits
The following shows when it is legal to sell/buy fireworks and discharge them in Ferndale.
Date Sales Discharge July 1st 9am-11pm – July 2nd 9am-11pm – July 3rd 9am-11pm – July 4th 9am-11pm 9am-11:59pm July 5th – –
In unincorporated areas of Whatcom County
In Whatcom County, outside of the city limits, residents can only legally discharge fireworks in from July 3rd to July 5th and only during specific times. Specifically, the hours allowed are as follows.
- July 3rd from 6pm to 11pm
- July 4th from 6pm to midnight
- July 5th from 6pm to 11pm
County and city laws apply to consumer fireworks, but on nearby Indian reservations, federally legal consumer fireworks are available. These are only legal to purchase, possess and discharge while on an Indian reservation. Possession and/or use off a reservation is illegal. Federally legal fireworks include firecrackers, skyrockets, missiles, bottle rockets. M-80s, M-100s, etc. are considered illegal anywhere.