Press "Enter" to skip to content

Disaster Cash Assistance Program available to displaced flood victims

DSHS Mobile Community Services Office in Whatcom County following flood disaster (December 1, 2021). Photo: DSHS

WHATCOM COUNTY, Wash. — The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) has activated its Disaster Cash Assistance Program (DCAP) for Whatcom County residents impacted by recent severe weather and flooding.

Following historic rainfall and disastrous flooding, Governor Inslee declared several Washington State counties, including Whatcom, as disaster areas. The declaration allows financial assistance to be provided, including via DCAP.

Those who have been unable to remain in their homes due to flooding or subsequent damage may be eligible for DCAP, which is an emergency cash assistance program available to those who are not eligible for other cash assistance programs (such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), but who meet the DCAP income and resource limits.

This cash assistance is available to Washington residents regardless of citizenship status and does not require applicants to provide a Social Security number. Due to recent legislation, those who have received DCAP benefits previously and are still in need may reapply each month the program is active. The monthly benefit amount depends on household size, income, and need. It ranges from a maximum of $417 for a single person to a maximum of $1,289 for a household of eight or more people. 

Click for more information

Click for more information

The program requires an application and interview. The DSHS assistance mobile office has had to relocate. They are now located at 1775 Front Street Lynden (at the Rotary Building located at the north corner of the fairgrounds). It will be there today (Wednesday) and tomorrow (Thursday) from 9am to 4pm.

Those unable to travel to the mobile DCAP site can apply online at and then call the Customer Service Contact Center at 877–501–2233 to complete the required interview. Another option is to call 877–501–2233 to complete the entire application process over the phone. For the quickest response, it’s best to call before 11 a.m. Once approved, people will receive their DCAP benefits on an existing Electronic Benefit Transfer or EBT card, or a new EBT card will be sent via U.S. mail. 

Applicants will be asked to provide identification and, in some cases, DSHS will need verification of certain eligibility requirements such as income and resources. The following are examples of the most common verification options.

  • Identity 
  • Who lives in your home 
  • Household income 
  • Childcare costs 
  • Disability 
  • Shelter costs 
  • Specific work and/or school schedules 
  • Things you own, such as bank accounts, homes, property, and vehicles 

 For more information, visit the DSHS webpage on its Disaster Cash Assistance Program

My custom footer text