BELLINGHAM, Wash. — Bellingham Police Department (BPD) has issued at community alert about a regional burglary group that is reportedly targeting Bellingham homes as well as others across the northwest Washington region.
The alert says the BPD Detective Division is informing Bellingham business owners, specifically those of southeast and southwest Asian descent, that a burglary group is targeting their homes.
This burglary group is being investigated by a regional task force which includes several agencies in the Northwest Washington area, including Bellingham. Our detective division is investigating several such burglaries since December 2022.
The burglars target homes owned by business owners of Asian descent near green belts and trail systems and make entry from the backyard. The burglary suspects target safes, jewelry and cash. These burglaries have usually been occurring between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
On March 16th, the Bellevue Police Department issued a similar alert after 16 home burglaries in Bellevue and surrounding areas were believed to have been committed by the same group.
The suspected crew travels in groups of three; they are dark-complected and wear dark clothing and masks to conceal their identity. Investigators believe this is an organized ring that is victimizing people from Kent to Bellingham. Bellevue Police Department (March 16, 2023)
BPD provided the following safety tips in their alert.
- Secure valuable items, preferably in a safety deposit box
- Keep lights on, interior and exterior
- Mount cameras on the exterior of the home, front and back
- Call 9-1-1 if you see suspicious people or vehicles in the area (suspects are wearing dark clothing and full-face masks)
- Photograph your jewelry and other valuables to assist in recovery
Anyone with information regarding this burglary group is asked to contact BPD in either of the following ways.
- Email tip line – www.cob.org/tips
- Phone tip line – 360-778-8611