WHATCOM COUNTY, Wash. — Whatcom County Public Works (WCPW) has scheduled the following roads around Sumas for chip sealing from 6am to 6pm between Monday, July 25th, and Thursday, July 28th.
- Abbott Road, Lynden
- Deeter Road, Lynden
- Holtz Road, ???
- Lankharr Road, Lynden
- Mecklem Road, Everson
- Minaker Road, Sumas
- Nolte Road, Everson
- Noon Road (north of Van Dyk Road), Lynden
- Nordum Road, Everson
- N Pass Road, Everson
- Polinder Road, Lynden
- Sealund Road, Everson
- S Pass Road (west of Kendall Road/SR547), Sumas/Everson
- Thiel Road, Lynden
- Van Dyk Road (east of Hannegan Road), Lynden
WCPW officials advise motorists to use alternate routes whenever possible and expect long delays where work is in progress. Vehicles parked along the above listed roads should be moved out of the right-of-way before 6am on the days chip sealing is scheduled.
The work is weather dependent and subject to change. In the event of weather interruptions, roads may be chip sealed that are not in the list above, or roads on the list may not be completed by the expected completion date.
WCPS officials say they will chip seal approximately 65 miles of Whatcom County roads this summer (2022). They add that the work has substantial benefits for local roadways and the drivers who use them.
- Improves safety and creates a highly skid-resistant surface
- Saves money and is 80 percent cheaper than a new pavement overlay
- Extends the life of pavement
- Waterproofs the surface
- Prevents potholes and seals cracks, keeping water from seeping into the roadway structure
Driving Tips during chip seal work
- Use alternate routes or plan for delays
- Slow down to 25mph in work zones
- Avoid distractions when driving through these areas
- Leave plenty of room between your vehicle and the one in front of you to avoid flying rocks
- Loose gravel or chip sealant can damage vehicles left along roadways during this work – avoid parking alongside affected roadways.