Press "Enter" to skip to content
Ferndale Police Officer Mike Catrain monitors vehicle speeds in the 1900 block of Main Street (June 6, 2018). Photo: My Ferndale News

Ferndale Police officer retires after 15 years … sort of

FERNDALE, Wash. — After 15 years, Mike Catrain pulled his last shift as a Ferndale Police officer Wednesday, October 30th.

While technically retired from the Police Department, Catrain is not done being a City of Ferndale employee. It was recently announced he has been hired as Ferndale’s new Code Enforcement Officer. According to city staff, he will begin his new duties in December.

You can listen as Catrain signs off from his last shift.

In response, What-Comm Dispatcher Shane Kussman delivers a respectful farewell to Catrain, aka “Officer Friendly.”

Click for more information

Click for more information
While investigating a crash on Main Street, Ferndale Police Officer Mike Catrain took time to pose with an admiring fan (September 25, 2016). Photo courtesy of Sarah Dalrymple.

6 Comments

1. Stephen Dodd Stephen Dodd November 1, 2019 at 5:19pm

Congrats Mike, I knew you and liked you from GP. Have a great retirement and aloha to you also.
    Steve Dodd

2. Tina McCammack Tina McCammack November 1, 2019 at 6:12pm

, I was his kids school bus driver when I had the route in Creek Park. They were little pickles at sometimes but they sure are nice to me now .when I run into them every now and then. I wish you well in your retirement and I’ll miss you waving at me when you pass by my school bus.

3. Janet Kean Janet Kean November 1, 2019 at 6:33pm

Hey Mike, even though I never gave you a chance to give me a speeding ticket, I know for a fact that our friend Dorothy deserved one more than once. 😉 Good luck in your new job.

4. Herb Porter Herb Porter November 3, 2019 at 9:04am

Congratulations, Mike. Job well done. Best wishes on your new assignment with the City.

5. Nicole Catrain Nicole Catrain November 3, 2019 at 11:45am

Congratulations Dad! It’s hard to believe it has been 15 years! I just caught wind of your retirement, I’m so happy for you! My heart aches missing you terribly but I’ll always be rooting you on from a distance. Warm wishes to you now and always. Love you more than you know❤

6. Nicole Catrain Nicole Catrain November 3, 2019 at 12:00pm