WHATCOM COUNTY, Wash. — Officials with the Washington State Department of Transportation and Whatcom County Public Works announced the following upcoming road projects. Delays can be expected around these projects and alternate routes are recommended.
Emergency pavement repairs
WSDOT crews that have been working in counties to the south for the past several weeks will be making their way into Whatcom County beginning next week to work on the following state highways.
- Valley Highway (SR9) between Saxon Road and the Mount Baker Highway (SR542) roundabout
- Mount Baker Highway (SR542) between Deming and Maple Falls
This work is scheduled at night between 8pm and 5am. This is an emergency pavement repair project to address some of the roadways most severely damaged following the winter of 2021.
Maintenance, repairs and construction projects
The following roadwork has been scheduled in Whatcom County.
- Monday, September 19th, and Tuesday, September 20th, from 8am to 3:30pm the left lane of southbound I-5 at the North Lake Samish interchange will be closed for ditch maintenance
- Monday, September 19th, from 8pm to 5am the northbound I-5 off-ramp and the right lane of northbound I-5 at the Old Fairhaven Parkway interchange will be closed for work on the Padden Creek fish passage project.
- Monday, September 19th, through Thursday, September 22nd, from 8pm to 5am the southbound I-5 on-ramp and the left lane of southbound I-5 at the Old Fairhaven Parkway interchange will be closed for work on the Padden Creek fish passage project.
- Monday, September 19th, from 8am to 4pm northbound and southbound traffic on Nooksack Road (SR9) at Mack Road in Everson will alternate through a single lane during utility work
Lake Whatcom Boulevard
- Wednesday, September 21st, from 10am to 1pm pavement striping work is scheduled on Lake Whatcom Boulevard between Cable Street and Lake Louise Road – the road will be closed during this time