Below freezing temperatures are forecast to remain until the norm into the weekend.
This means now is the time, if you haven’t already, to take action to minimize the risk of freezing pipes.
* drain any exterior hoses (e.g. garden and A/C)
* disconnect garden hoses from exterior faucets
* cover exterior faucets with insulated covers
* close crawlspace vents
* insulate water pipes in unheated spaces
* keep all outside doors closed (e.g. garage doors)
* open cabinets to expose plumbing to warm air
* allow a slow trickle of water (both hot and cold) at the faucet furthest from your water main
And if you leave your apartment or house for the holidays, experts advise not to turn your heat off. Instead, they recommend dropping it no less than 55° F so pipes in the outside walls will be less likely to freeze while there are these subfreezing outside temperature.
Water pipes are most likely to burst while pipes are thawing. If that happens, turn off the water at the water main shut off valve and contact a local plumber.