Back in January, City of Ferndale (COF) staff asked the community via a survey, if the COF were to put on recreational events in the city that are free and open to everyone, what events should they hold.
Last month, City staff announced the “Summer of Fun” events including one scheduled to be held this week.
The new “Summer of Fun” events planned are as follows
* Thursday and Friday, April 6th and 7th – Glow in the Dark Croquet at Griffintown Park. Play begins at dusk and players are advised to bring a flashlight.
* Wednesday, May 10th – Birdwatching by the Nooksack River. Starting at 10am, a less than a mile walking tour led by the North Cascades Audubon Society will begin at Centennial Riverwalk Park.
* Friday, June 2nd – Anniversary party for Star Park. The celebration will start at 5:30pm to honor of the largest volunteer event in the history of Ferndale. Planners say to expect live music, food trucks and prizes
* Throughout July – The Great Ferndale Treasure Hunt. Teams sign up in June and receive points for finding hidden treasure in Ferndale parks using clues given out by City staff or for completing tasks such as talking to a veteran, meeting a neighbor or discovering a part of Ferndale’s history. Prizes and awards will be announced during The Old Settlers Picnic at the end of July.
* Saturday, July 22nd – Field Games at VanderYacht Park. City staff are promising an afternoon of old fashion fun including sack races, tug-of-war, egg toss, water balloon fights and more.
* Saturday, August 12th – Music in Pioneer Park. Expect an evening concert in Pioneer Park. Details to be announced.
* Wednesday, August 23rd – Storytellers in Pioneer Park. Professional storytellers will entertain during the afternoon. Young children welcome and encouraged to attend.
* Friday, September 1st – Last Bite of Summer. The community is invited to gather at Star Park for one last summer evening together. Expect food trucks and music.
As shown above, the first Summer of Fun event, Glow in the Dark Croquet, is scheduled for this Thursday and Friday, April 6th and 7th at Griffintown Park on 2nd Avenue. Play begins at dusk (about 7:30pm) and continue until about 10pm both nights. Players of all ability levels are welcome. Dress for the weather.