MAPLE FALLS, Wash. — Joel B Young, age 60, was arraigned in Whatcom County Superior Court on February 18th after a shooting incident in Maple Falls left 2 Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO) deputies hospitalized.
Initial court filings charged Young with 2 counts of 1st degree attempted murder, but several additional charges were added during the arraignment hearing. The complete list of charges are as follows.
- 6 counts of reckless endangerment, a gross misdemeanor
- 2 counts of 1st degree premeditated attempted murder, a class A felony
- 1st degree assault with a deadly weapon, a class A felony
- 2nd degree assault with a deadly weapon, a class B felony
- Harassment threatening to kill or do bodily injury, a class C felony
The charges of reckless endangerment are due to Young’s actions being suspected of having placed some of his neighbors, including 2 young children, in substantial risk of death or serious injury during the incident.
Young remains in custody in the Skagit County Jail pending being able to post a $5,000,000 bond. His next court hearing is scheduled for March 16th.
The deputies have both been released from hospitalization and local fundraisers have been held providing financial support to help with medical and other costs related to their injuries.