BLAINE, Wash. — First responders were dispatched to Blaine Middle School on H Street in Blaine about 5:33pm due to a report of a fire alarm. Initial witness reports from the scene were that a fire was visible inside the building.
North Whatcom Fire & Rescue Fire (NWFR) Chief Jason Van der Veen told Whatcom News said they arrived to find the fire in the kitchen area. A single sprinkler had activated and extinguished the fire.
Students at a drama practice in the building had been evacuated and taken to a safe place until firefighters could bring them their belongings. Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 11)
Van der Veen said nearby NWFR units from Blaine and Birch Bay were dealing with separate medical emergencies at the time to units from Ferndale and Lynden Fire District and the NWFR Laurel station responded.
An appliance in the kitchen area is suspected as the cause of the fire but an investigation by the North Whatcom Fire Marshal continues.
There was fire and smoke damage in the kitchen and minor smoke damage throughout the building.