Press "Enter" to skip to content

Ferndale Police arrest escapee after standoff Tuesday

FERNDALE, Wash. — Ferndale Police issued a statement on Tuesday, October 18th, that they had been involved in visible incident that required a substantial law enforcement presence and shutting down nearby roads.

According to the Ferndale Police statement, at approximately 1:30pm, Ferndale Police were advised that a man wanted on a Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC) warrant was in the 5300 block of LaBounty Drive.

5300 block of LaBounty Drive

According to law enforcement radio transmissions at the time, the subject fled in a vehicle southbound on LaBounty Drive as law enforcement arrived in the area.

Ferndale Police were aware the subject, identified as Jade Matthew Garza, age 24, was wanted on a DOC warrant and known to carry a firearm according to the statement.

According to the DOC’s website, a warrant for Garza ‘s arrest was issued January 11th related to custody in Whatcom County for drug violations. City of Ferndale spokesperson Riley Sweeney told Whatcom News he was not at liberty to provide the details about the DOC warrant. DOC warrants are typically issued for eluding supervision by failing to report to community corrections officers or escaping from a prison or work release facility. UPDATE: Sweeney later told Whatcom News the DOC warrant was for felony escape.

The vehicle was subsequently located in the 2300 block of Douglas Road according to the statement. Officers were able to observe Garza in an apartment that law enforcement knew to be Garza’s residence.

2300 block of Douglas Road

The statement said traffic in the area was blocked off and additional officers were called in due to the severity of the warrant and that Garza was known to be armed. Once the area was secured, police were able to communicate with him and, with the assistance of family members, he eventually agreed to surrender without incident.

Multiple agencies responded to the incident including the Ferndale Police Department, Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO) and Washington State Patrol.

Garza was arrested by WCSO deputies in 2016 on 2 outstanding warrants issued in Skagit County Superior Court for failure to appear on charges of possession of a stolen firearm and unlawful possession of a firearm and another charge in Skagit County District Court.

In 2018, Garza was sentenced to 3 years in custody and 1 year in community custody after pleading guilty to unlawful delivery of a controlled substance (heroin) and unlawful possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver (heroin) in Whatcom County Superior Court.

Garza had been booked into Snohomish County Jail for a parole violation on charges of manufacturing/delivering controlled substances and methamphetamine in November 2021.

As of October 19th, there was no record of Garza being booked into the Whatcom County Jail following yesterday’s incident. UPDATE: Sweeney told Whatcom News that Garza was released to DOC custody to be transported back to a DOC facility.

My custom footer text