After considering applications submitted by four local groups, the City of Ferndale Lodging Tax Advisory Committee (LTAC) is recommending dividing $52,000 among all the four applicants.
The recommendation will be presented to City Council at Tuesday’s City Council meeting for approval. The $52,000 has been budgeted in the City’s Hotel-Motel Fund for 2017 and represents anticipated tax revenues for 2017.
According to the City Council meeting documents, members of LTAC who met to consider the applications were
* City of Ferndale Councilmember and LTAC liaison Greg Hansen
* Ferndale Heritage Society Vice-president Linda Harkleroad
* Ferndale Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Ann Serwold
Representatives from Cedars RV Resort, Motel 6 and Super 8 were invited but did not attend according to the documents.
LTAC is responsible to apply lodging tax revenues for tourism promotion or tourism-related facilities to promote tourism in the City of Ferndale.
The organizations recommended to receive grant money and the amounts are,
- Ferndale Chamber of Commerce ($40,000)
- Visitor Center – $39,000
- Street Festival – $1,000
- Ferndale Farmers Market ($500)
- Ferndale Farmers Market – $500
- Ferndale Heritage Society ($10,000)
- Olde Fashioned Christmas at Pioneer Park – $2,000
- Pioneer Park tour guides – $8,000
- City of Ferndale Parks, Recreation & Trails Advisory Board (PRTAB) ($1,500)
- Art in the Park/Inspiring Public Spaces – $1,500
The grant applications specifying how the grants will be used were not included in the council documents.